This unit will provide individuals with the practical skills and knowledge to handle, transport and store chemicals in the agricultural and horticultural, conservation and land management sectors. Anyone who uses hazardous chemicals in their workplace or business needs to be trained in accordance with Occupational/ Work Health and Safety (OHS/ WHS) legislation.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements - students must be able to read and comprehend regulations, manufacturer instructions, chemical labels and Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to determine chemicals weights, volumes and quantities to determine handling and storage requirements.
- Physical capability to handle and transport chemicals and chemical equipment, lift and carry some loads.
- Visual acuity to distinguish chemical labelling information, and manage outside environments under cold and warm conditions.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and long pants must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
- Prepare, transport and handle chemicals
- Store chemicals in the workplace
- Follow procedures for cleaning up a spill
Documentation – Completion of a risk assessment form, incident reporting form and a manifest/inventory form.
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.